Sweet Gavvalu is a traditional Andhra Pradesh (South India) crispy sweet item.Usually it is prepared with all purpose flour (Maida) and semolina, butter. Jaggery or sugar are also used to sweetening shells. Small shells are prepared using a wooden lined board. If wooden board is not available you can prepare shells with the help of a fork. Press the small dough ball against the back side of the fork to prepare shells. For making it healthy to day i am preparing with whole wheat flour and maida.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 40 to 45 shells
- Whole wheat flour: ½ cup
- All purpose flour: ½ cup
- Baking soda: ⅛ Teaspoon
- Butter/ Oil/ Ghee: 1 Tablespoon
- Salt: A pinch
- Sugar: ¾ Cup
- Green cardamom: 3 to 4 (powdered)
- Take a bowl and put all the dry ingredients(wheat flour,maida,baking soda,a pinch of salt).
- Melt butter in a pan. Pour butter into the flour. If you are using oil, heat oil for 2 minutes in a pan before adding to maida. Add 1 tablespoon of water gradually to prepare a firm dough.(A little less than ¼ cup of water).The dough should not be too soft. (similar to a Poori dough).
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 40 to 45 Grape sized balls.
- Press the ball on a lined board to prepare gavvalu.(Normally this is available in Andhra Pradesh .This is called Gavvalu Chakka).
- If the board is not available use Fork to prepare these shells.(The pattern of lines may differ but there is no difference in taste).
- Prepare all gavvalu.
- Heat refined oil in a deep pan for frying gavvalu.(I am using refined sun flower oil).
- Transfer all the shells into the hot oil. Stir gently.
- Reduce the heat of oil and fry shells to golden brown on a slow flame.
- Remove gavvalu into a plate and allow to cool.
- Now we will prepare sugar syrup. To check the consistency of the sugar syrup keep a small plate filled with 2 tablespoons of water ready.
- Dissolve sugar in ¼ cup of water to prepare sugar syrup. Cook syrup on a slow flame stirring continuously.
- Prepare a double thread consistency syrup.
- To check the consistency pour a drop of syrup into the plate.Shake the plate gently. If the syrup settles at one place and does not dissolve in the water, the syrup is ready. Switch off the flame. (If syrup is dissolving easily when dropped in water ,cook syrup for 2 to 3 minutes more and again check to see the consistency).
- Add Cardamom powder and prepared gavvalu into the syrup.
- Mix everything gently and allow to soak the shells in the syrup for a minute.
- Transfer the sugar coated crispy gavvalu into a plate and allow to cool for 10 minutes for the sugar syrup to dry.
- Dried Sweet Gavvalu can be stored in airtight container for 1 month or more.
- If you are preparing more quantity, fry gavvalu in 2 to 3 installments.
- If you are using Jaggery for preparing syrup the color of the shells will be a little dark honey color.