Paneer butter masala is a Indian rich creamy gravy curry.The texture of this gravy is smooth and thick. It goes very well with Jeera Rice, Nan, Paratha or Roti. I have tried this curry many times with some variations. But best procedure for me is to keep it simple with limited ingredients and limited steps.This procedure is very easy and curry tastes great. To make it healthy i used only 2 Tablespoons of butter (Normally about 5 Tablespoons is used, because it is called Paneer Butter Masala). You can try my other easy and tasty paneer recipes like Palak paneer 1,Palak paneer 2, Mutter paneer, Kadai paneer dry, Kadai paneer gravy, Paneer jalfrezi.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Serves: 4 Servings
- Paneer (cottage cheese): 300 grams (cut into triangles)
- Butter: 2 tablespoons
- Oil : 1 teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts: 10 to 12
- Ginger: 1 inch finely chopped
- Garlic : 8 to 10 cloves finely chopped
- Onion: 1 medium(cut into slices)
- Tomatoes : 5-6 medium (finely chopped)
- Salt : 1 Teaspoon (according to taste)
- Cumin seeds: 1 Teaspoon
- Bay leaf: 1 leaf
- Dried red chili : 1 (broken)
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder: 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- Kasoori methi crushed: 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh cream : 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Coriander leaves: Few finely chopped
- Cut Paneer pieces to triangles and keep aside.(If you want you can shallow fry Paneer pieces in a nonstick pan for 3 to 4 minutes).
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter with one teaspoon oil in a pan . Add cashew nuts and cumin and fry for a minute till golden brown.
- Add Ginger julienne and chopped Garlic.(It tastes better than adding ginger garlic paste.Any way we are going to make a puree).
- Add onion and fry for about 5 minutes till pink and soft.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, salt and fry till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Cool for 2 minutes and puree the mixture to a very smooth paste.If required add 4 to 5 tablespoons of water.
- Heat the remaining butter in a Pan. Add some cumin seeds and a broken red chilli and 1 bay leaf. Allow cumin to crackle.
- Pour the pureed gravy in to the pan.Cook the pureed mixture for two minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric,cumin powder,garam masala powder,red chili powder,half a cup of water and bring to a boil. Adjust the seasoning. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle kasoori methi,chopped fresh coriander leaves and some fresh cream.Mix in lightly. Adjust the seasoning. Allow to cook for a minute on a slow fire.(If needed add some water for the desired consistency).
- Add paneer pieces and mix gently and allow to simmer for a minute.(after adding Paneer pieces do not cook more time on high flame as it will make Paneer hard and chewy).
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl and garnish with ginger julienne and some cream.
- Serve Paneer Butter Masala along with Naan,Roti or Jeera Rice.