Palak paneer is a Indian spinach gravy curry with cottage cheese cubes. The gravy is prepared with spinach,onions and tomatoes. It goes very well with Roti, Naan or Jeera rice.My earlier Palak paneer 1 recipe i have explained the conventional method.Today i am doing it a little easy way and using just ½ teaspoon of butter and ½ teaspoon of oil to prepare this curry. Both curries are equally tasty. You can also try my Paneer Jelfrezi, Kadai paneer(Dry), Kadai paneer (Gravy) , Mutter Paneer and Paneer butter masala.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 servings
- Spinach: 2 small bunches (washed and cut into 2)
- Sugar: A pinch
- Onion: 1 medium sized ( cut into cubes)
- Tomato: 2 Medium ( cut into cubes)
- Green chilli: 3 to 4 Cut into half
- Garlic: 6 to 8 cloves
- Ginger: ½ inch cut into julienne
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon (According to taste)
- Cumin seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Cumin powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Coriander powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- Boil ¼ cup of water in a pan and add a pinch of sugar and roughly chopped spinach.
- Allow to boil for 3 to 4 minutes on medium fire. Switch off the fire and allow to cool.(As we have added very little water, no need to drain water).
- Shallow fry paneer cubes in a nonstick pan and keep aside.
- In another non stick pan heat ½ teaspoon oil.Add garlic cloves and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger julienne and fry for a minute.
- Add onion cubes and fry for 2 minutes till soft and pink.
- Add Green chilli and fry for a minute.
- Add tomato cubes, salt and cover the pan with a lid for tomatoes to cook till soft.
- Switch off the flame and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Grind onion and tomatoes mixture to a smooth puree.
- Add Cooked spinach and blend to a smooth puree.
- Heat ½ Teaspoon of butter and add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
- When cumin starts crackle pour the prepared puree.
- Add cumin powder,coriander powder,crushed red chilli and garam masala powder.
- Cook for 2 minutes on a medium fire. Adjust the seasoning.
- Add paneer cubes, lemon juice and mix gently. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve Palak paneer along with Roti, Naan,Jeera rice or any flavored rice.
You can also add boiled sweet corn in place of paneer to prepare Corn Spinach. You can also add cooked chicken to the spinach puree to relish Spinach Chicken.