Egg Kurma is a gravy curry prepared with boiled eggs, onions,tomatoes and other spices.Today i am also using Chana dal (Split peas) for a thicker gravy. It goes very well with any flavored rice or any indian bread.You do not need lot of onions,tomatoes and oil to prepare this curry.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
- Eggs: 4 (boiled)
- Chana dal/ Split chickpeas: 1 Cup
- Oil: 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 Teaspoon
- Ginger: ½ inch (Finely chopped)
- Garlic: 6 to 8 cloves(Finely chopped)
- Onion: 1 Medium sized (Finely chopped)
- Green chilli: 2 to 3
- Curry leaves: 5 to 6 leaves
- Tomato: 2 Medium sized (Finely chopped)
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon (According to taste)
- Chilli powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Turmeric: A pinch
- Coriander powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Cumin powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: ¼ Teaspoon (Optional)
- Juice of ½ Lemon (Optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves: Few (Finely chopped) Procedure:
- Wash Chana dal in water 2 to 3 times and add 3 cups of water.Cook in a pressure cooker for 10 to 12 minutes on a medium flame till chana dal is soft.( Dal can also be cooked in a open pan.You may have to add more water and allow to cook on a medium flame for about 10 minutes and on slow flame about 20 to 25 minutes. Chana dal takes more time to cook than moong dal).
- In the meantime boil eggs in water for about 5 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool for some time. Remove the shell of eggs and keep ready. Make a small cut/incision on eggs for the gravy to seep inside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and 1 broken red chilli.
- When cumin starts to crackle add finely chopped ginger,garlic,curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add finely chopped onions,green chilli and curry leaves. Fry till onions become a little pink and soft. 6.Add tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt and fry till oil separates. You can cover the pan for 2 minutes for tomatoes to become soft. 7.Add turmeric,chilli powder,garam masala powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and mix everything well.
- Add cooked chana dal and mix well. Add ½ cup of water and bring to a boil. Allow to cook on slow fire. Adjust the seasoning. You can mash Chana dal a little with back side of your ladle. (If required add ¼ cup of additional water for a required consistency).
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix.
- Add boiled eggs and cook for a minute. Switch of the flame and add lemon juice. (No need to cook more time after adding eggs).
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl and serve Egg Kurma along with Steamed rice or any Indian bread.
While making the cut on egg make a small cut on one side only.You can also add eggs without making any cut.