Sago Crispies are prepared with soaked sago/Sabudana,all purpose flour/ whole wheat flour and spices. Crispies can be made in round,diamond, square or any preferred shape. They can be served in parties as a starters or can be a great tea time snack.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8 Servings
- All purpose flour: 1 Cup
- Sago/Sabudana: ⅓ Cup (soaked in ½ cup of water for 2 hours)
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon
- Butter/Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Green chilli: 3 to 4 (according to taste)
- Ginger: 1 inch piece
- Sesame seeds:1 Tablespoon
- Carom seeds or Cumin seeds: 1 Tablespoon (optional)
- Refined oil: for frying Crispies (I am using refined Sunflower oil)
- Soak ⅓ cup of Sabudana in ½ cup of water for 2 hours.
- Grind green chilli and ginger coarsely.
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients.
- Mix everything properly.Prepare a soft dough. If required add 1 spoon of water at a time. The dough should be firm. (Dough should not be very soft. If you have added more water and the dough is very soft, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of additional flour and prepare a firm dough).
- Divide the dough into 4 equal balls.
- Take a ball and roll about 9 inch diameter circle using a rolling pin.(You can sprinkle some dry flour and roll roti as thin as possible).
- Cut the prepared roll with a sharp knife into 1 inch diamonds or you can cut into different shapes using a biscuit cutter.
- Put these rolled and cut pieces in a hot refined flour.Reduce the flame and fry these crispies to golden brown slowly.( Fry crispies on slow flame for a uniform color and crispiness).
- Transfer the crispies to a paper napkin.
- Prepare crispies with remaining dough similarly.( While the crispies are frying you can roll the dough and keep the next batch ready).
- Serve tasty Sago Crispies as a great tea time snack. If you want you can serve any dip or chutney along with crispies. Can be stored in a air tight container for later use.
Prepared crispies can be stored in a air tight bottle for 15 days or more. Pour some green chutney and tamarind chutney over these crispies to prepare tasty papadi chat. You can also use Crushed black pepper for additional spice and flavor.You can also use red chilli powder in place of green chilli. If you want plain crispies you can simply avoid chillies.