Shrikhand is a very popular North Indian Gujarati dessert prepared with thick yogurt, sugar,nuts, saffron and green cardamom powder.It tastes great. In mango season mango pulp is used to prepare tasty mango shrikhand. Kesar mango pulp is best for this recipe.But any other variety of sweet mango pulp can be used. It is served along with Poori or stand alone dessert.We can also add any other preferred fruit pulp or finely chopped pieces to prepare fruit shrikhand. Most preferred ones are mango,chiku,apple and pineapple. If you have readily available yogurt in the house, there is no cooking involved to prepare this tasty dessert.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 servings
- Thick curd / Hung curd: 3 cups
- Mango: 1 medium sized (Peel mango and cut into pieces)
- Sugar: ¼ cup (According to taste)
- Green Cardamom: 4 to 5 (powdered)
- Saffron: Few strands
- Finely chopped Nuts: ½ cup (Almonds,Cashew nut)
- If thick curd is not available in the store you can prepare hung curd in the house.
- Take a muslin cloth and pour about 4 to 5 cups of home made curd and tie loosely the edges and allow to hang in the freezer for 1 hour.(You can leave overnight for a very thick curd).
- Your thick hung curd is ready.
- Blend mango pieces in a blender to prepare smooth puree.
- Take a bowl and transfer the hung curd into it. Add sugar,saffron,chopped nuts,green cardamom powder and whisk gently.
- Add mango puree and mix gently.
- keep in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve chilled and tasty Shrikhand in a serving bowl garnished with some nuts, few saffron strands and mango pieces.
Depending on the sweetness of mango amount of sugar can be adjusted. Use fresh yogurt and sweet mango for best color and taste.