Stuffed crispy bread rolls in a easy and tasty evening snack usually served along with any chutney. It is also perfect to serve in party. It will remain crisp after 2 hours also. It is usually prepared with white bread and boiled potatoes.To make it healthy we can prepare rolls with whole wheat bread and other vegetables also. Non vegetarians can prepare rolls with minced and cooked meat (chicken keema).Today i am using whole wheat bread and stuffing with grated carrot,peas and potato.
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes: 10 to 12 Rolls
- Whole wheat bread : 10 to 12 pieces
- Potato: 3 Medium sized (boiled and peeled)
- Carrot: 2 small (Grated)
- Green peas: ½ cup (boiled)
- Green chilli: 3 to 4 (Chopped)
- Lemon juice: 1 Tablespoon (juice of ½ lemon)
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 Tablespoon
- Turmeric: A pinch (Optional)
- Garam masala powder: A pinch
- Mint: A few leaves finely chopped (Optional)
- Coriander leaves: A few finely chopped
- Take a bowl. Put boiled and peeled potatoes. Mash potatoes gently. (No need to mash too much).
- Add grated carrot, boiled green peas and finely chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Add cumin seeds,turmeric, garam masala, lemon juice and salt.
- Mix everything gently. Adjust the seasoning.(If you want you can also add finely chopped ginger garlic).
- Take 2 tablespoons of potato vegetable mixture and prepare small balls. Give the balls a oval shape just enough to fill inside the bread. With this mixture you can prepare 10 to 12 pieces.
- Pour 1/ cup of water into a wide bowl and keep it ready for dipping the bread slices.
- Cut the edges of bread.
- Dip 1 bread piece into water. Remove immediately and squeeze bread to remove excess water with your palm.
- Keep the stuffing in the center of the bread piece and seal the edges pressing gently with your palm.
- Prepare all the rolls.(Dip only 1 bread piece at a time and seal it with the stuffing and then move on with the next roll).
- Heat refined oil in a pan.(I use refined sunflower oil). Fry prepared rolls 2 to 3 rolls at a time.
- Fry rolls on a medium flame to golden brown.
- Take out the rolls from oil and drain into a paper napkin.
- Serve hot crispy stuffed bread rolls along with tamarind chutney, mint chutney, green chutney or any tomato chutney.
Do not over cook potatoes.You can cook minced meat with some oil in a pan for 10 minutes and mix other spices and use as a stuffing. You can also use grated paneer mixed with spices as a stuffing. These rolls can also be shallow fried in a nonstick pan. You can brush some oil to the rolls and grill in a microwave oven for 6 to 8 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade.