Rajma masala is North Indian thick gravy curry prepared with Red kidney Beans, onions,spices and tomato puree. Rajma paired with Jeera rice is liked very much in Northern India. Rajma Chawal and is a perfect combination of carbohydrates and protein. It goes very well with any Indian bread also.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Serves -4 Servings
- Rajma – 2 cups ( Washed and soaked for 6 to 8 hours in water)
- Salt – ½ Teaspoon (According to taste)
- Whole spices – 2 Cloves,½ inch Cinnamon stick, 4 Black Peppers, 2 Cardamoms, 1 Bay Leaf
- Oil -2 to 3 Tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – ½ Teaspoon
- Onion – 2 medium (grind roughly)
- Green chili – 1 (Finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – ½Tablespoon
- Tomato -2 to 3 medium sized (pureed)
- Garam masala powder – ¼ Teaspoon
- Roasted cumin seeds powder – ¼ Teaspoon
- Coriander powder – ½ Teaspoon
- Rajma masala – ½ Teaspoon
- Red chili powder – ¼ Teaspoon (According to taste)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ Teaspoon (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves – Few stems finely chopped
- Sugar -¼ Teaspoon (Optional)
- Dried Methi Leaves or kasoori methi – Few crushed
- Wash Rajma and soak for about 6 to 8 hours in enough water. Drain water and wash Rajma again with fresh water. Add enough water,some salt and whole spices. Cook Rajma in a pressure cook for about 20 to 25 minutes.Wait for 10 min before opening the lid.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.Add onion paste,chopped green chili and fry till golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add Tomato puree and fry till oil separates.
- Add all dry masala powders , Sugar and mix well .
- Add boiled Rajma and 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves,crushed kasoori methi and allow to cook for 5 min on slow fire.
- Transfer Rajma curry to serving bowl. Serve Rajma with Steamed Rice or Roti.
You can buy ready made Rajma masala powder available in Indian stores. Add Lobia (Black eyed pea) to prepare tasty Lobia masala curry in the same way.You can also prepare Chana masala curry with Kabuli Chana. In place of Rajma masala powder you have to add Chana masala powder.